Thinking of buying or selling a home this year? Here are a few tips to help you get through the real estate process.
- DON'T OBSESS ABOUT TIMING.
Many buyers and sellers attempt to anticipate the movement of the market so they can time their purchase or listing right. In realist, the right time to buy or sell is when you're ready to buy or sell. Instead of obsessing about the perfect time, focus on making sure you're ready.
- CHECK YOUR EXPECTATIONS
Television and the experiences of your friends and family may color your expectations of the buying or selling process. Everyone's experience will be different. Learning more about the process and the state of the market will help you set realistic expectations.
- KEEP YOUR EMOTIONS IN CHECK
Most people go through the real estate process a few times in their lives. Buying a home is a huge investment, and buyers may put extra pressure on themselves to find the perfect home that meets all their buying criteria. Similarly, selling a home is an emotional journey -- you've put a lot of time and energy into fixing up a home and made a lot of good memories there. When emotions are involved, it's easy to make a rash decision. You'll feel more in control of the process if you try to stay focused and calm.
- DO YOUR RESEARCH
If you're thinking of buying, check out the neighborhoods you want to live in, think of how long you'd like to live in the home and write down your must-haves and deal breakers. If you're thinking of selling, The Swede Team can help you position your home to sell in our market.
- RELY ON A PRO
You're not alone on your journey. The Swede Team is here to answer your questions, ease your concerns, and guide you through the process.
If you have your eye on a home, try before you buy! It's smart to visit at different times of day before you make an offer
- Rush Hour -- How long is your commute? The house may be 7 miles from work, but if you have to drive through 17 traffic lights or merge onto several busy highways, your commute may be much longer. Testing the commute is another way to help you decide if the home is right for you.
- Mid-Morning -- Visiting during the day allows you to see if any neighbors are home. You will also be able to determine if there is any additional traffic noise from autos or trains nearby.
- Mid-Afternoon -- If you have children, visit when school is dismissed. Not only will you see if the street is heavily trafficked at this time, you can also see if children use your yard as a shortcut.
- Evening -- Visiting at night provides insight into the personality of the neighborhood. Are there children playing outside? Are the neighbors entertaining guests? Are people outside running or walking their dogs? Is the neighborhood deserted? Once you get a feel for the neighborhood, you can assess whether you want to be a part of it.
The process of buying or selling a home can be overwhelming for many people. If you’re thinking of entering the market this year, remember to give us a call. We would love to chat with you about our local market.